Monday, April 05, 2010

Completed GPS Logger


Completed GPS Logger
Originally uploaded by flirianders.

Yea. it's done and works. Now I'm looking forward to playing with it and and see about incorporating it into some new projects.

In general the "make it" section of the Adafruit site was great. Easy to follow and solder. It was a lot tougher following the steps in the "use it section." Being on netbook and going through section was somewhat confusing. There steps where the wires need be configured one way to test the GPS unit, and another for testing the SD card, and then plugging it all back together. For some reason it wasn't as clear.

So I soldered in an extra row of header pins and just jumped the wires over to reconfigure easily. Made it easy to try the different configurations.

I found that it was critical that the SD Cards be formatted in fat16. Reading through the forums, that seemed to really trip people up. GParted on Ubuntu made formatting for fat16 very easy.

The last issue was that there was multiple versions of the code to upload to test with and it wasn't clear which worked with the 328 chip. Also, it wasn't clear if the memory hack for serial by bring the buffer down to 32 was necessary for the 328 chip. I don't think it was but I'm not sure, I'll have to check that out.

I was thinking with the one kind of hack I'd like to do is have timestamp of when the position were recorded and then sync to a photo set for gathering geolocation data.

No comments: